Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A truly arctic day

I'm in Kipnuk this week and think I've experienced my first preview of what winter will look like. While walking outside today the wind was blowing snow across the boardwalk and when I came back and checked the temperature it was negative two. It was a beautiful, but freezing walk just like you see in pictures of the tundra in Alaska minus the dog sled team.

The river is now frozen and people have busted out their fur hats, coats, etc. At one point I was bent over at the waist trying to walk against the wind. The student I was walking with was laughing most of the way as my face got redder and redder from the cold. She chose that moment to ask me if I've ever had frostbite and when I responded that I hadn't and asked her if she had she laughed and said "So many times". She then told me that you just pack grass around the frostbitten parts and you're as good as new after a few days, so we'll see how that works. I guess I need to start wearing my thermal base layer and face mask. What an experience.

Oh, and I almost forgot, my first experience with frozen nose hair. They seem to have been multiplying as the weather has dropped, but oh the distinct pleasure of not only having far more nose hair than has been normal for me but experiencing them frozen. Next up, frozen eyelashes.

No comments: