Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Strange winter

The weather has been crazy lately. We've been told that the last time it was this warm this late into the winter was in the 80s. We've had tons of rain with a couple of snow storms that melt right away. It snowed a bit this weekend and hasn't melted yet, but the forecast this week is for more rain and warmer weather again. People that rely on the river as a frozen highway in the winter are frustrated that it hasn't completely frozen up yet, but I'm pretty happy with a slow transition into full Alaskan winter weather.

In Kasigluk this week the river was beginning to freeze and it was interesting to see (and hear) the boat pushing through ice chunks making its way to shore. I was hopeful that it would freeze completely, but no such luck. Every time I go there and it isn't completely frozen solid I envision having my own Alaskan baptism, a possibility that I am really not looking forward to.

As the snow comes down outside we're on weather hold, which I've found means that we may leave in 15 minutes if it clears or they may end up canceling my flight in 4 hours (last week's attempted flight out). I'm trying not to be such a planner, realizing that I only frustrate myself here if I schedule things in and expect to accomplish everything that I would hope and then end up stuck at the airport for hours.

Last week was a good one, but exhausting. When I got into Akula they were having a Halloween carnival which included a 15 minute costume parade with children and adults walking in costume in circles to traditional Yu'pik music. An interesting contrast of beautiful traditional music with costumes including Raggedy Ann, zombies, etc. What I loved about it was that the entire community came out to support the school's fundraiser, a tradition that has apparently been in place since they had a Bureau of Indian Affairs school rather than a school with the district 30 years ago. It was fun to sell tickets with two Yu'pik teachers who've been teaching since BIA days and hearing their stories.

Last week's students brought another hospitalization for cutting and suicidal ideation, a student being released from treatment before he was stable and ending up in crisis again, three incidents of students dealing with sexual assault, and a myriad of other concerns. The longer I'm here the more the students and community trust me, which leads to busier days and more students to see. I'm grateful to be kept busy, just feel like I'm always running and putting out fires rather than having time to do everything that I'd like (and feel like I need to) do.

Anyway, life is good. Alaska is beautiful, we continue to enjoy living in Bethel and making new friends but miss family and friends being so far away.

1 comment:

Linds said...

Wow, sounds a lot like the weather in Provo lately! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't get that Alaska baptism : )
Im sorry for all the difficult problems your kids are facing. It sounds like a really tough situation. This may be a bit naive but do you think a pen pal program would be helpful at all? I was just thinking that maybe having a connection outside of their immediate circumstances might be beneficial (or maybe just distracting). Just a thought.
Anyway, glad winter is giving you a chance to get accustomed to it and that things are going well overall :)