The Lions' Club put on a really nice Thanksgiving meal for anyone in the community that needed it. I had my first experience with gizzards, which was as horrifically disgusting as I always imagined but at least was for a good cause. We had around 200 people eat in the first couple of hours that we were open, so it was well worth the time preparing everything.
Friends of ours here asked if we were doing anything for Thanksgiving dinner and when we told them that we weren't but that we wouldn't have much time they offered to make the whole meal and bring it to our house, which was a huge blessing.
We were able to move in with the help of a couple of other friends and a family lending us their truck, and Dave had a successful day at Saturday Market selling out before it was finished. He's actually sold out the two weeks he was there, so he's in a fudge making frenzy this week trying to have enough for this Saturday.
Last week I was in Kasigluk and had my first experience with riding up the frozen river. The morning I went up was pitch black around 8:00 and it was a surreal experience to be sitting on folded blankets in the back of a wooden sled tied to the back of a snow machine making our way up the river by following small trees that had been placed in the frozen river with reflective patches to guide the river traffic. The day I was scheduled to come back it had warmed up over night and the river was starting to melt. I was lucky enough to find a ride back down river to the air strip, but quickly began to regret the decision as there was so much melted ice that we were sprayed with water and arrived dripping. The older woman that was riding in the back of the sled with me said "Ooohhh, we made it" as she stood up, making me even more grateful that we made it. I've tried to take my cues from the locals here and was glad I hadn't known how worried they were about the trip. When I got back to Bethel I heard that the travel advisory was against any river travel since the ice was no longer thick enough.
I'm posting a picture of Dave's fudge booth as well as some of a beautiful snowy day and the frozen river.
The weather has been crazy here lately, as I'm sure it's been where you're all from. The ice and snow completely melted and we were back in thick, sticky mud last weekend which had frozen back into ice by Monday making the roads quite dangerous for walking. At this point we're praying that it will either all thaw into mud again or that we'll get snow to make it a little safer to be out walking. Dave has ice cleats and still had a hard fall yesterday, and my ice cleats haven't come yet so I'm baby stepping all over and hoping not to go down too hard.
Dave's second week at Saturday Market
Trees, lamp posts, everything covered in snow and frost
Frozen tundra and boardwalk in Bethel
Outside of Bethel Cultural Center
Frozen river on Akiuk side of Kasigluk
5 comments:
So good to see both your smiling faces! Glad to hear the fudge sold out but that's no surprise!!
Hannah
I love Dave's beard and am so impressed with his fudge! I hope his business goes well :) Beautiful ice pictures, too. Miss you guys!
The fudge....sniff...weep...It looks like you knocked out like lbs. Forget teaching, this could really be the answer. Way to make it safely across the river too! Hope you are enjoying a wonderful vacation.
Dave and Kristin, I absolutely love these photos and your stories. Please post more. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you.
I miss the fudge!!!! I love breaking my no-sugar rule with it during December. LOVE the pictures! It all looks so clean and COLD. Good to see your smiling faces.
Post a Comment