After being weathered into Kipnuk this week (dense fog and freezing rain) I got back to Bethel yesterday and woke this morning to find that it finally dropped below zero again and everything is turned back into ice.
In general I've come to love the truly cold weather here and strongly prefer it over mud and slush, but walking across straight sheets of ice in the dark this morning (thank goodness for headlamps and ice cleats) I definitely had some slippery moments. We also awoke to 20-30 mph winds, which wouldn't be so bad if not for the huge amounts of dust the wind picks up and pelts at your face, in your eyes, mouth etc. The only tips I've received for dealing with the dust include wearing sunglasses, which isn't entirely feasible in the pitch black. I'm definitely hoping for huge amounts of snow soon.
A friend sent me a link this week to a short PBS clip on Bethel's Saturday Market, which includes a very brief shot of Dave and I looking completely awkward. I vaguely remember them filming, but thought that by looking away from the camera we couldn't possible end up on anyone's video. The first half of the clip is interesting. The link is:
www.alaskapublic.org/2014/02/02/the-saturday-market-on-the-tundra/?fb_action_ids=10151848959196971&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B702947279747934%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.likes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D
Other than that, the big news this week is that Dave's robotics team won the district competition and will continue on to state in a few weeks. Dave enjoyed "geeking it up" as we call it, and was as shocked as his students with their success. He's trying to get some photos together to post later.
Life continues to be full of new challenges and learning experiences, both professionally and personally. We're really enjoying being stretched and challenged every day and are grateful for this experience.
Dave said I should share an interesting/funny/sad experience I had with a second grade student at one of my schools. While meeting with her she told me that some of her older elementary school friends gave her iqmik (local chewing tobacco). We talked about all of the ways that it is unhealthy for her body and talked about making her own choices and ways to stand up to her friends. Following our discussion and activities I reiterated, "So if your friends want to give you iqmik again, what can you say?" She responded, with a twinkle in her eye and a huge smile, "YES, thank you!" After further discussion and her repeated responses of "YES, thank you!" I was impressed with her honesty and tenacity, but sad to imagine a second year old so gladly agreeing to chew.
I read an interesting article on iqmik recently:
http://www.adn.com/2012/10/06/2652842/chewing-mixture-of-tobacco-ash.html
Hope life is going well for all of you:)
2 comments:
I am the WORST friend ever! I didn't realize you were writing in your blog and I just spent the best 15 minutes of my day catching up! I seriously almost cried at the pictures of you and Dave. I miss you both! Keep up the good blogging and I will be a loyal reader from now on. You many have inspired me to write on mine again :)
You're famous! I love Dave scratching your back. You don't look awkward--you look like a cute couple!
Post a Comment