Saturday, February 22, 2014

Recent photos

Things continue along with crazy weather, busy weeks and new challenges. Dave's robotics team has been practicing every day, which is great for them but not so much for Dave's prep time after school. He's had some really long days and is looking forward to the state finals in Fairbanks in a couple of weeks.

I've been struggling with quite a bit of joint pain lately and may have the opportunity to be based at one of the schools in Bethel next year (which would be much less exhausting but also much less interesting, I think). I'm trying to really take advantage of these last few months in my villages to cram in as much work as I can, which makes the weeks fly.

I finally remembered to take the camera with me the last couple of weeks and have some pictures that show what things look like this time of year.

 Akiuk, looking over the frozen river

 Walking to a friend's house in Akiuk I thought how interesting it is to see four wheelers with sleds tied to the back of them; not so charming when they continue to drive by through the night making a huge racket.
             Dave's Alaska beard as it typically looks.   Dave's Alaska beard when it's fluffed & frightening.
 Walking in Bethel at -30. Frozen eyelashes and condensation from breath. Good times.


 Bethel campaign to beautify the community dumpsters.
 Dirty handprints? Nope, handprints in the ice at the local grocery store.
 Bethel cemetery by our apartment. Interesting scene, previously, watching a family dig a grave by hand in the frozen earth.
 Sheet of ice outside our apartment shows the perils of being a pedestrian in Bethel.
 Typical view from a bush plane, flying this time to Kipnuk at around 9:30 in the morning.
 Inside a 207, the most common bush plane.
 207 from the outside at the landing strip in Kipnuk.
 Kipnuk air strip.
 "Parking lot" outside school in Kipnuk.
 Frozen pond in Tuntutuliak.
 Boardwalk in Tuntutuliak.
 Cemetery in Tuntutuliak.
 Children sledding (on pieces of cardboard or styrofoam, backs, etc.) onto a frozen pond in Tuntutuliak.

 Sunrise over teacher housing in Tunt.

 Morning views outside school in Tunt.

Sunrise in Tunt.

5 comments:

Hannah and Carl said...

Amazing sunrise! Love the photos. Can't imagine walking everywhere over that ice! Seeing Dave's smiling face made me smile. Miss you kp!

Melissa said...

Once again - you made my Monday by seeing a new post! I love your pictures and I am constantly amazed at how you both are surviving this!

Suzy said...

Kristin! I miss you and Dave and think about you at least once a week. Hope all is well. I'd love to catch up. Can one call to Alaska without it counting as international?

Suzy said...

PS that beard IS frightening!!!! :)

brenna said...

What amazing pictures--I love them all, especially Dave's frightening beard-haha. I can't imagine walking on that sheet of ice in the parking lot-do you have microspikes? And such beautiful sunrise/sunsets. I especially love the huge moon in one. Miss you!