Friday, January 24, 2014

Quick link

Hi, I came across an interesting article about Alaska's failed effort at prohibition if you're interested. It paints an accurate and sobering picture of life in this area.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/20130903/perils-prohibition-look-alaskas-failed-war-booze-part-i

Dave also said that I should post a funny story from a student I talked with last week. I was sitting at lunch with a group of second graders when one little boy sitting across the table started asking his classmates: "What's his name?" pointing to me, followed by, "Him, him, WHAT IS HIS name?" This continued for a few minutes with the student clearly articulating his question in louder and more urgent tones until finally a huge smile spread across his face as he proclaimed triumphantly for the lunchroom to hear, "Oh, I remember. His name is Misssss Kristin!!" I've been referred to as a man many, many times so that wasn't the funny thing, it was the language barrier and confusion for him (Yu'pik doesn't identify anything as male or female so his confusion is understandable)  paired with the great emphasis that he placed on the Miss part of my name. I feel like these stories don't really translate as being very humorous when I try to describe them, but it was pretty funny:)

1 comment:

brenna said...

Very humorous, Kristin. I always try to convey funny stories about Caleb and Emma and it's hard to do sometimes. I can definitely imagine this kid's enthusiasm!