Thursday, October 17, 2013

The last couple of weeks have been really challenging. I was involved in having one student involuntarily hospitalized for suicidal ideation, another case involving sexual abuse in a family over many years, a student who's been sexually harassed by classmates for the past year, and more student struggling with their parents' alcoholism than I can count. And these are just the highlights.

I love feeling like my time is well spent here, but feel overwhelmed in weeks like this. I feel like I'm just scratching the surface and providing crisis intervention and response before flying off to the next village. I'm glad that we have social workers in the schools here since there's an overwhelming need, there just never seems to be enough time to adequately meet the needs of the students.

Lower Kuskokwim School District is the only district in the state the has a full social work program, most just have one or two social workers for the entire district while we have 10. This was one of the major attractions for us when we moved here, but even having 10 social workers we are spread really thin.

Indian Health Services offers behavioral health aide support in the villages, but most of the behavioral health aides don't have much education or training and are overwhelmed by the needs in the villages too. Living in the village and often being related to many of the other villagers makes it more difficult for them as well, so many of the students and families feel more comfortable working with me than the local aide.

Enough about work. I'm attending a training next week offered by the Association of Village Council Presidents (the local network of village Tribal Councils) on "Undoing Racism" regarding historical trauma and abuse, which should be interesting and helpful. It will be nice to sleep in my own bed for a whole week too.

Last night I had my little air mattress blown up and was snuggled in my sleeping bag just getting ready to fall asleep in the classroom I was staying in when one of the teaching aides came in to get something, followed by her family. It's hard to feel settled in for the night when the schools have open gyms, dedicated teachers that work late and come in early, and surprise visitors like the one last night.

On the humorous side, I never get tired of the honest questions and comments from students here including:

Miss Kristin, why . . . your hair. . . is so little? Like baby hair?

Miss Kristin, why . . . you are sooooo . . . fat?

Miss Kristin, how old you are?  (Huge, long intake of breath/gasp)  So old!!! Not even my dad is so old. I think you are younger (I don't mind this one so much:)

I am also showered with hugs, high fives and waves wherever I go and am regularly told that I am loved. The students ask why I have to leave and wish I could stay forever, which makes up for the exhaustion of traveling.

The weather isn't too cold yet, though it's been raining nonstop for days. I thought I knew rain growing up in Oregon, but this is sideways, heavy, cold rain all the time. Riding on the back of four wheelers with rain whipping in my face probably makes it feel wetter and colder than it really is too. Thank goodness for waterproof pants and boots.

That's it for now. We miss you all.

4 comments:

Heather said...

You win the tough week award. How frustrating to feel like you are spread too thin. But how

Heather said...

Sorry. How wonderful that in your short time there

Heather said...

People recognize your natural gift of helping and healing. Bravo!

Bryan Corbin said...

Kristin, You're living an amazing life and helping people more than you realize. Thanks for blogging!
-Bryan