Thursday, May 22, 2014

April

The highlight of April was having my Mom visit during my spring break. Dave had to work, but Mom and I had a great week. We began by making the rounds in Bethel, the highlight being taken on a three hour drive up and down the ice highway/river, stopping to watch a family ice fishing, walking across the ice, seeing fish camps where families spend the summer catching and preparing hundreds of fish, and driving to Oscarville (a small village up the river from Bethel).

 Mom all bundled up while walking by the river in Bethel. What a good sport!

 A family ice fishing on the river.

 View of ice road and frozen river.

 Waiting for a fish . . . 

 A luxury fish camp along the river, reportedly with electricity even!
 Driving on the ice road.
 Right after pulling the fish out, just missed the action shot.
 Dave trying to capture the cracks and textured layer of the ice.

Oscarville, small village along the Kuskokwim. The school has around 30 students and had cross country skis piled up on the front porch. Note the drying fish, a common sight in the villages.

The morning after having friends give us a grand tour of the ice road and all of the highlights of Bethel, Mom and I flew to Kipnuk for the day. I haven't included any pictures of students to maintain their confidentiality, but Mom was swarmed by students wanting to know every detail about her. We spent a little time in the Kindergarten and 3rd grade classes and Mom was as taken with the students as I've been.

 The pilot heard it was Mom's first time on a bush plane and was very sweet, pointing things out and circling above Kipnuk before landing to give her a better view.

 Packed into the back of the plane surrounded by mail. Literally boxed in (Dave's addition:)
 Boats frozen into the river in Kipnuk.
 View of the Bering Sea on the flight from Kipnuk to Bethel. I've never seen the ground blend smoothly into the ocean before moving here, no vegetation or elevation separating the two. 

The day after returning from Kipnuk we were able to spend two days in Homer on the Kenai Peninsula. Jessica, the other new social worker, had booked the trip but then had to go home for a family funeral so we went in her place. I don't think I've ever been in a more spectacularly beautiful place. We enjoyed looking out on this view from our window:

 The harbor on the spit. 
 Views from our room.




 Views from a lookout above Homer. The most incredible thing was that these are only a few small snapshots of an impossible to capture panoramic view.

Mom was such a good sport, climbing on and off small planes, walking around town in ice cleats and full winter gear and helping me make memories that I'll be able to share with her forever. I'm so grateful to have had a chance to share this incredible year with her.

1 comment:

brenna said...

I love that first picture of your mom all bundled up. What a great time to have her visit!